Vegan Procedures: Cereal Milk & Pancakes!

Many times my personal struggle trying something vegan, is the constant and painful comparison to existing non-vegan dishes. And I acknowledged it must be a common issue, as I was talking to a friend going through the menu at a vegan restaurant: “Vegan” this, “vegan” that and “something that looks like and taste like”… 
a whole bunch of – like-like food….

Maybe we or I won’t come that easy off that horse, but! A way for me to try to do it have become the alternative ways of preparation. This means, don’t just adjust your ingredients, change your procedure. Most of the time (like in the recipe below) I end up doing the same thing… but in a way it allows me some freedom to play with the ingredients. In this sense, here is one of my first experiments to share with you: 

Vegan Cereal Pancakes

First , make your own Cereal "Milk".
I leave 3 spoons of Soy Flakes, 3 spoons of rice Flakes, 3 of Oatmeal Flakes and 6 almonds with double the amount of water over night. The next day you just blend everything with your mixer. If you want to drink it, you can filter it and it looks very much like Milk, otherwise take it as it is, for cooking its perfect. 

This procedure is very versatile, I’ve tried very different cereal and nuts combinations using; millet, sesame, Chia seeds, walnut, hazelnut… I have found the mixture that works for me, mostly because I like the taste and I can always find the ingredients, but don’t be shy and try to find your own after what you have available and what seems tastier to you. 

For your pancake mixture... 
Instead of using eggs, you can use soy flour. since my cereal milk has already whole soy, I skip this ingredient. (soy is another great source of lecithin *as eggs are*, which helps emulsify your mixture) /// 1 big spoon of soy flour and 3 of water makes an egg
Other than that you can follow your own preferred pancake recipe. Just remember to use a recipe which is not fully counting on the egg whites to make the batter fluffy!!! 

I use about a cup o flour, a cup of Milk, one egg, a tea spoon of baking powder, 3 spoons of sugar and quarter of a teaspoon of salt. Mix together and cook on an oiled pan. Enjoy with your favorite fruits and some curd or yoghurt on the side. Make it a friends and family event, that way you can use a group plate for everyone so you can share different fruits without planning or thinking about portion size.

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts